Before my memory fails me with details, here are some pictures from the other day. Again with the nicer weather, the Haenyeos made a quick dive and returned early in the afternoon for a roughly 2.5 hour session. This time though, the eldest of the group brought in a lot of haesam toryeom (sea cucumber variety), which was quite the sight/spectacle seeing them up close. Interestingly, the haesam are on the expensive side and run about 20,000 won per 1kg. She had about 3kg and sold all of them, including her sora (turban shells), to a nearby seafood restaurant. While helping her take the catch to the restaurant, she looked at me and asked, “How much did my sora weigh? What was the weight of the haesam?” I helped her weigh both of the seafood and for the life of me couldn’t remember the exact weight. We both got a good laugh out of this.
The Haenyeo Diaries: Day 7
- Galbi Jjim 갈비찜 (Braised Beef Short Ribs) October 3, 2020
- Memil Janchi 메밀잔치 (Bukhansan National Park) August 5, 2020
- Mokno Jip 목노집 (Daejo-dong, Seoul) August 5, 2020
- Jungohnae Gochujang Bulgogi 정오네고추장불고기 (Hawolgol-dong, Seoul) August 5, 2020
- Ilmi Gisa Sikdang 일미기사식당 (Hoegi-dong, Seoul) August 1, 2020