Feels like yesterday when @seoulfoodie and I were eating and debating over the best fried chicken in Seoul, only agreeing that Ungteori Tongdak had by far the crispiest shell among our favorites. We don’t have those debates anymore now that she’s stateside, but I still get to persuade her friends and acquaintances who visit Korea where to get the ultimate KFC. Thank you Julie and all my chicken lovin’ friends for supporting this hole-in-the-wall mom and pop shop over the years. 🙏
[Repost] Right here is the best OG Korean-style fried chicken in Seoul and arguably all of Korea. Thanks to my private food tour with a lovely couple who really know their fried chicken, I was able to visit the shop twice in a span of a few days. But what made the trip more special was the fact that the super friendly, cheerful imo (auntie) was running the show, which meant I was allowed to take pictures freely and interrupted. Despite coming for years, her not-so-friendly husband (aka general) would give me the dead man’s stare if I got too close to the frying station. But no matter who’s working the shop, one thing’s for sure: you’ll be treated to the best fried chicken that’s ultra crispy, meaty, and flavorful.
I’ve written about this place plenty of times, but here are some interesting tidbits about the small shop fittingly named Absurd Whole Chicken:
- the shop has survived over 20 years despite multiple offers to sell in the trendy area of Gyunglidan-gil.
- took over three years to perfect the top-secret batter, achieving the ultimate crispness through endless trial and error.
- nothing is pre-cooked unlike some KFC places, so orders can take up to 20 minutes.
- the birds are double fried at different temperatures to achieve that unique crispy egg-shell covering.
- pray you visit when the friendly emo (auntie) is working because her husband can be somewhat of a brute.
- mandatory order of draft beer per customer.🍻
Food: ★★★★ ½ out of 5 stars
Service: ★★★½ out of 5 stars
Ambiance: ★★★ out of 5 stars
Value: ★★★★ out of 5 stars
Ungteori Tongdak 엉터리통닭
Itaewon-dong 225-154 | Noksapyeong Station, Exit 2
Hours: Open every day 3 pm ~ 3 am
Click here for an interactive map: http://naver.me/F72z5U5Y