Decided to get my feet wet (no pun intended) by going out with the Haenyeo today. It was only by chance after seeing them get ready in their work station when one of them asked rather jokingly, “Wanna join us?” They probably thought I was joking when I said yes, but I ran home and put on my wet gear. Once outside and slightly nervous, the Haenyeo were already out in the rough sea with waves much bigger when seen up close. Just as I broke past the shore, the Haenyeo slowly started making their way towards me, signaling that the waves were too strong and calling it a day. We walked back to the work station together while they discussed diving in another area w better conditions. Two of them decided to call it a day while the oldest in the group (age 84) tried convincing them to go out since they had all their gear on. Majority ruled on this day.
The Haenyeo Diaries: Day 16
- Soonjinhan Kong Jakso 순진한콩작소 (Yangjae-dong, Seoul) August 14, 2019
- Cheongnyangri Jogae Gui Jjim 청량리조개구이찜 (Cheongnyangri, Seoul) August 3, 2019
- Chuncheon Memil Makguksu 춘천메밀막국수 (Jegi-dong, Seoul) August 2, 2019
- Namwon Tongdak 남원통닭 (Cheongnyangri, Seoul) August 2, 2019
- Banryongsan 반룡산 (Gangnam, Seoul) July 3, 2019