Before my memory fails me with details, here are some pictures from the other day. Again with the nicer weather, the Haenyeos made a quick dive and returned early in the afternoon for a roughly 2.5 hour session. This time though, the eldest of the group brought in a lot of haesam toryeom (sea cucumber variety), which was quite the sight/spectacle seeing them up close. Interestingly, the haesam are on the expensive side and run about 20,000 won per 1kg. She had about 3kg and sold all of them, including her sora (turban shells), to a nearby seafood restaurant. While helping her take the catch to the restaurant, she looked at me and asked, “How much did my sora weigh? What was the weight of the haesam?” I helped her weigh both of the seafood and for the life of me couldn’t remember the exact weight. We both got a good laugh out of this.
The Haenyeo Diaries: Day 7
- Soonjinhan Kong Jakso 순진한콩작소 (Yangjae-dong, Seoul) August 14, 2019
- Cheongnyangri Jogae Gui Jjim 청량리조개구이찜 (Cheongnyangri, Seoul) August 3, 2019
- Chuncheon Memil Makguksu 춘천메밀막국수 (Jegi-dong, Seoul) August 2, 2019
- Namwon Tongdak 남원통닭 (Cheongnyangri, Seoul) August 2, 2019
- Banryongsan 반룡산 (Gangnam, Seoul) July 3, 2019