My mom usually makes this spicy cucumber slaw/salad that is refreshingly tasty and spicy, but it’s also great for those wanting to shed some pounds. And from that, I was able to get the recipe (actually looking over the shoulder watching my mom) and found a new side dish for my future meals. The great thing about this side dish is that it’s healthy, tasty, and relatively easy to make. The wasabi (the green paste eaten with sushi/sashimi) really adds a great kick to the dish. I’m not sure how my mom learned to incorporate wasabi into a Korean side dish, but I totally love it and thank her for it!
- 3 large cucumbers
- 2, 3 green chili peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp wasabi (more if you like spice)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (Mirin preferrably)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
1. Don’t peel the cucumbers, but grate it lengthwise creating long, thin strips. Grate until reaching the inner seeds and then stop. Discard the seeds or let your kids eat them for a healthy snack (ours do).
2. Mix all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl thoroughly.
3. Serve cold, which really brings out the refreshing crispness of the cucumbers.