We have been experimenting lately by adding kimchi to Western dishes (created a nice Philly steakcheese w kimchi last week), and this time including it in our barbecue/marina pizza. We have never tried barbecue sauce in pizza before, but it wasn’t hard to imagine why the two ingredients wouldn’t work together. So just to be on the safe side, we made a half & half pizza–one side devoted to kimchi with marina, and the other barbecue n chicken. The result? A surprisingly nice meal although, for some reason or whatnot the mozzarella cheese clumped and hardened considerably, making it somewhat unpleasant to eat. I think next time I will add the cheese near the end of baking. Either way, it was a good experimental meal without any complaints.
1 premade crust (thin or original crust)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup pineapple chunks
1 small can pizza sauce
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1 cup kimchi, diced
- 1 large chicken breast, diced
1 small shallot, finely diced
2 cup mozzarella cheese
1 tsp garlic sauce (optional)
2 stems cilantro leaves (for garnish)
1. Cut chicken breast into bite-size pieces. Heat frying pan with 1 tbsp olive oil on medium-high heat. Cook chicken pieces thoroughly until browned and let sit.
2. In another pan, stir fry the kimchi until soft, sprinkling on a little sugar.
3. Place premade crust on flat surface. Rub 1 tbsp olive oil thoroughly onto the crust.
4. Apply the pizza sauce to half of the crust while applying barbecue sauce on the other half.
Follow this by adding the chicken pieces, kimchi, pineapple, and lastly the mozzarella cheese.
6. Place in oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is nicely browned on top.
7. Let cool for a couple of minutes. Garnish with cilantro, then cut and serve.