Ingredients: Makes enough for an 8-person sitting
- 2 large cucumbers (or 4 Kirby cucumbers)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp gochugaru (red chili pepper flakes)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (or regular vinegar)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar (or honey)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
1. Wash cucumbers thoroughly under cold water.
2. Cut the cucumbers diagonally into 2-inch pieces or preferred cut.
3. In a large bowl, add all the remaining ingredients with cucumbers and mix thoroughly.
4. To eat immediately, transfer to serving dish and eat as banchan (side dish).
5. Save remaining cucumbers in the refrigerator and serve cold later.
*As a healthy alternative (though it will take up more time), after step 2 you can add 1 tbsp coarse salt with the cucumbers let sit overnight at room temperature. This will draw out the moisture of the cucumbers and create a natural brine.
*Also, you might find the waxy, film covering the cucumbers unnatural, but this is food grade fax that retains the moisture of the cucumbers. It is edible so don’t worry about peeling out of health concerns.