Today I prepared some jajang myun for lunch and was surprised how easy it was to make. Just buy a jar of jajang sauce (black bean paste sauce) at the local Asian or Korean market and it practically makes itself. Okay, you have to dice up a few vegetables but other than that it’s really not that difficult. This is a very popular dish in Korea and can be attributed to its Chinese origin, along with the popular spicy jangbong noodle soup sold at many of the Korean-Chinese restaurants in Korea. And like most Korean dishes, this dish has countless variations but I included some pork, carrots, potatoes, onions, and zuchinni. You are more than welcome to include ingredients that appeal to your senses. Regardless, this dish is great when eaten with Korean noodles or served on top of rice, which is called jajang bab.
For most living in Korea, jajang myun is as ubiquitous as fast food here in the states. The peculiar thing with this dish is that most Koreans order this and it literally arrives within minutes. They have these fearless delivery guys riding around in specialized scooters attached with metal boxes that can carry many bowls of these noodles. But you can see these guys zigzagging in and out of traffic at ridiculous speeds to get to their destination. And sadly to say, I had a little run in with one of them when I owned a motorcycle.
Ingredients: Makes 6 servings
1 lb pork, diced
3 medium potatoes, diced
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
l large zucchini, diced
1/2 cup chunjang (black bean sauce)
1 cup water
1 tbsp cornstarch
cucumber, thin strips (garnish)
1. Boil the potatoes and carrots for about 5 minutes, until they’re just tender. Stir fry the onion, and zucchini.
2. Add in some more water and include the black bean sauce.
3. Pour over the veggies and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer for 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Prepare 1 cup of water and mix with 1 tbsp cornstarch. Pour this mixture into the wok and stir well to thicken the sauce.
5. Serve over Korean noodles or rice and garnish with cucumber slices.